My March book club was for The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. I’ll post a book review soon following this post. Our theme was Italian food-which if you read the book you’ll piece that one together! I set out to make one of my favorite dips, a spinach and artichoke dip!
Usually this dip is loaded in fatty goodness so I of course found a COOKING LIGHT one! This dip is so good and goes great with salty tortilla chips or crackers. This dip was extremely easy and quick-as long as you thaw the spinach the night before and set the cream cheese out to soften and have the cheese already grated. A little planning made it so I was able to bring this HOT to book club right after work!
Spinach and Artichoke Dip from Cooking Light
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 14 oz can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 8 oz fat free cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 of a 10 oz package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- Tortilla chips, crackers, bread or other dipping items
Thaw spinach, grate cheese and soften cream cheese
1 hour before serving:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella, sour cream, 2 tablespoons Parmesan and next 6 ingredients through spinach in a large bowl. Stir until well blended and spoon into 1 1/2 quart (about an 8×8 pan) baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Serve with chips, etc.
Eat a lot because it’s only 148 calories! (for a 1/4 cup…)