My dad and I’s garden had a giant zucchini and I was trying to find a recipe other than my go to zucchini bread for it. I stumbled across not only a delish BAKED zucchini fries (I love the fried kind too), but this pizza sauce to dip it in is also the best pizza sauce for homemade pizzas I’ve had in a long time! I used the extra sauce for a different meal of pizza with zucchini thrown on it too! This is a great snack and much healthier than fried zucchini!
Baked Zucchini Fries from Our Best Bites
- 1 lb of zucchini, cut in strips
- 1/2 cup Italian panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine bread crumbs and cheese. In a separate shallow dish whisk eggs. Blot the zucchini strips dry, dip in the egg mixture and then roll in the crumbs. Place on the baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, flip, and then bake another 10-12 minutes. Serve with the pizza sauce recipe below or ranch!
I had most of these things on hand for the pizza sauce which made it even easier!
Pizza Sauce loosely adapted from Our Best Bites
- 1-6 oz can tomato paste
- 6 oz of water (use tomato can)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Dash of salt
- A dash to 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder, oregano, basil, marjoram, and parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Empty the tomato paste into a bowl mixing in water a little at a time until smooth. Add all other ingredients and stir to combine. Add to pizza dough or serve as a dip to the zucchini fries! You can also freeze the sauce!